• Perugia
    Clicca qui per gli eventi di | Click here for the events in Perugia

Featured Events in Perugia

Perugia

Today's Events in PerugiaTomorrow's Events in Perugia

About Perugia

Symbol of PerugiaPerugia is one of the two state capitals of the region of Umbria. The city is rich in art and history and is also a reference point for cultural and economic interests in the region. Very popular with tourists and students, Perugia is home to two major universities: the "University" and the "University for Foreigners", which is the largest in Italy. Perugia is distributed on the top of two hills (the hill of the Sun and the Landone hill), which are about 450 meters in height. It extends over a vast territory, which includes several villages and castles, while the Old Town centre is all included within Etruscan and medieval walls. The ancient name of Perugia was Phersna, which is almost certainly of Etruscan origin; this name was later changed to Perusia by the Romans. Established around the second half of the sixth century BC, Perugia soon became one of the most important Etruscan cities. In Roman times, Augustus the Emperor assigned to the citadel the title of Augusta Perusia. Between the thirteenth and fifteenth centuries, the city was ruled by the Priors, who based their headquarters in the beautiful Palazzo dei Priori. In the same period, the University was also established.


Perugia and hamlets

  • Antognola
  • Ascagnano
  • Bagnaia
  • Boneggio
  • Boschetto Vecchio
  • Bosco
  • Ca' Gentili
  • Canneto
  • Cappuccini di Monte Malbe
  • Casa del Diavolo
  • Casaglia
  • Case Lunghe
  • Case Nuove
  • Castel d'Arno
  • Castel del Piano
  • Cenerente
  • Città della Domenica
  • Civitella Benazzone
  • Civitella D'Arno
  • Col Francesco
  • Colle del Cardinale
  • Colle Umberto I
  • Collestrada
  • Colognola
  • Colombella
  • Coltavolino
  • Compresso
  • Contrada dei Muri
  • Convento di Monte Scosso
  • Cordigliano
  • Ellera
  • Farneto
  • Ferriera
  • Ferro di Cavallo
  • Fontana
  • Fontignano
  • Fosso del Diavolo
  • Fratticiola Selvatica
  • Il Sardo
  • L'Olmo
  • La Bruna
  • La Cinella
  • La Fratticiola-Casacce
  • La Torricella
  • Lacugnano
  • Lidarno
  • Maestrello
  • Migiana di Monte Tezio
  • Monte Malbe
  • Monte Petriolo
  • Montebello
  • Montelabate
  • Monticelli
  • Morleschio
  • Mugnano
  • Oscano
  • Osteria di Ramazzano
  • Osteriaccia
  • Osteriaccia di Fontignano
  • Parlesca
  • Pergola Bella
  • Perotta
  • Pianello
  • Piccione
  • Pietraia
  • Pietramelina
  • Pieve Pagliaccia
  • Pieve Petroia
  • Pieve San Quirico
  • Pila
  • Pilonico Materno
  • Pilonico Paderno
  • Pizzo Guglielmi
  • Podere Borgia
  • Podere Castellaccio
  • Podere Le Spiaggie
  • Podere Vescovato
  • Poggio delle Corti
  • Ponte della Pietra
  • Ponte Felcino
  • Ponte Pattoli
  • Ponte San Giovanni
  • Ponte Valleceppi
  • Prepo
  • Pretola
  • Ramazzano
  • Rancale
  • Rancolfo
  • Resina Prima
  • Resina Seconda
  • Ripa
  • Romano di Sotto
  • San Fortunato
  • San Giovanni del Pantano
  • San Gratignano
  • San Lorenzo di Rabatta
  • San Marco
  • San Martino dei Colli
  • San Martino Delfico
  • San Martino in Campo
  • San Martino in Colle
  • San Sisto
  • Sant'Andrea delle Fratte
  • Sant'Andrea di Agliano
  • Sant'Angelo di Chieli
  • Sant'Egidio
  • Sant'Enea
  • Santa Lucia
  • Santa Maria Ausiliatrice
  • Santa Petronilla
  • Santa Vittoria
  • Sodo degli Ebrei
  • Solfagnano
  • Stazione di Ellera
  • Stazione di Parlesca e Solfagnano
  • Tavernacce
  • Vagliano
  • Villa
  • Villa Cenci
  • Villa Faggeto
  • Villa Montefreddo
  • Villa Pitignano
  • Villa Pucci
  • Villa San Marino


Essential Perugia Information for Tourists


Nearest Train Station: p.za Vittorio Veneto, 1 (Perugia)

Nearest Airport: S. Francesco Airport, Perugia
Tel.: +39 075 592141 | Book service: +39 075 5928017

Perugia Hotels / Accomodations, Restaurants & Shops

Perugia Hotel Accomodations

Staff picked Perugia Hotels:

A selection of the best Perugia Hotels, Bed & Breakfast and Accomodations made for you by the Umbria Center staff.

Hotel 3 Stars

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
book this hotel

Hotel 3 Stars

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
book this hotel

Hotel 3 Stars

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
book this hotel

Hotel 3 Stars

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
book this hotel

Hotel 3 Stars

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
book this hotel

More Perugia Hotels


Perugia Restaurants

Staff picked Perugia Restaurants:

A selection of the best Perugia Restaurants, Inns and Taverns made for you by the Umbria Center staff.

Restaurant

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
www.restaurant.com

Restaurant

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
www.restaurant.com

Restaurant

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
www.restaurant.com

Restaurant

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
www.restaurant.com

Restaurant

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
www.restaurant.com

More Perugia Restaurants


Perugia traditional handicrafts, souvenirs and food items

Staff picked Perugia Shops:

A selection of the best Perugia traditional handicrafts, souvenirs and food-items shops made for you by the Umbria Center staff.

Shop

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
www.shop.com

Shop

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
www.shop.com

Shop

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
www.shop.com

Shop

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
www.shop.com

Shop

Via S. Francesco, 5 - 06031 Perugia
Tel.:
+39 0742 679524
web:
www.shop.com

More Perugia Gifts & Souvenirs Shop  More Perugia Food & Wine Shop



Main Places of Interest in Perugia

A list of the most interesting places to visit when you are in Perugia:

  • The Fontana Maggiore - is one of the main monuments of the city. The two concentric polygonal basins are finely decorated with bas-reliefs sculpted by Nicola and Giovanni Pisano: the lower part shows the symbols and scenes of traditional agrarian and feudal culture, the months of the year with the signs of the zodiac, the liberal arts and scenes from the Bible and the history of Rome, in the upper part are depicted biblical and mythological characters
Archaeological Areas
  • Etruscan Well - dates back to the late III century BC It is about 40 m deep, and has also served as a tank
  • Hypogeum of the Volumni (Ponte San Giovanni) - It is an Etruscan underground tomb of the second half of the II century BC. Located in the Necropolis of Palazzone (VI-V century BC), it was the family tomb of Arnth Veltimna Aules
  • Hypogeum of Villa Sperandio (second century BC)
  • Etruscan tomb of San Manno (III century BC) - It is located in Ferro di Cavallo district
  • The Mosaic of Orpheus and the beasts, or of Saint Elizabeth - Created by Roman masters of the II century, it stood near the ancient Roman baths
Etruscan walls
  • Etruscan Arch (Arco di Augusto) - It is the best preserved and monumental Etruscan Gate of the whole city. Built in the late III century BC, it consists of a front which is traversed by a single arch, and two trapezoidal towers
  • Porta Marzia - It is one of the ancient gates of the Etruscan walls of the city. Built of travertine, it has a round arch, framed by pilasters with capitals, and a central rosette, surmounted by a balustrade, which is divided by four pillars in the Italian-Corinthian style, from which five sculptures protrude: Jupiter, between the Dioscuri, Castor and Pollux, and two horses, one on each end
  • Porta Trasimena - Located in Via dei Priori, it was rebuilt in the XIV century. Very little remains today of the original Etruscan port: the arch was in fact changed, and the lion-shaped sculpture was also added in the Middle Ages
  • Porta del Sole (Gate of the Sun) - It was one of the oldest gateway to Perugia. Mentioned by Dante Alighieri in Paradise, it was originally located at the top of the city, in the so-called "Hill of the Sun". Today, nothing is left of its original form: the Arch of the Lilies, located in Via Bontempi and rebuilt in the Middle Ages, has inherited the name. The area was fortified in the XIV century, but the military citadel was destroyed after a popular uprising in 1376
  • Arco della Mandorla, or Porta Eburnea
  • Arco di Sant'Ercolano, or Porta Cornea
Medieval walls
  • Porta of St. Pietro or Porta Romana - It is one of the medieval gates in Perugia. Inserted in the walls (XIII-XIV century), it is located at the end of Corso Cavour. The exterior was made ​​of travertine by Agostino di Duccio and Polidoro di Stefano between 1475 and 1480
  • Porta Sant'Angelo - It is the largest medieval gate in the walls of Perugia. Located in the district of St. Angelo, at the end of Corso Garibaldi, it opens on the Cassero, crenellated fortress of the XIV century, inserted in the city wall
  • Porta Santa Susanna (Porta Sant'Andrea) - It is located in Via della Sposa
  • Sciri Tower - It is the only medieval tower that has remained intact in the city (the others have collapsed during earthquakes, civil wars and the demolitions, carried out in the XVI century because of the Salt War). It belonged to the homonymous noble family; its squared shape stands in the surrounding landscape for the particular light-coloured stones used to build it
  • The Rocca Paolina - It is a fortress built by Pope Paul III to the south of the ancient Etruscan wall structure between 1540 and 1543. Designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, it incorporates the Porta Marzia. It was almost completely destroyed after the unification of Umbria with the Kingdom of Italy, though, it had already suffered a partial disruption during the Napoleonic era. Today, the impressive underground area (most of the Rocca Paolina was underground) remains almost intact, with the basements of the buildings and the medieval Porta Marzia
The Palaces
  • Palazzo dei Priori - Good example of public architecture, it was built between 1293 and 1443, in Gothic style; it is accessible from the square through a thirteenth-century portal, decorated with statues of the griffin and the lion, and extends along Corso Vannucci. It is still home to the City Hall. It houses the Sala dei Notari, a medieval hall characterized by large arches and frescoed ceilings
  • Collegio del Cambio (XV century) - Embellished with inlaid wooden pallets (between the XVI and XVII centuries). The audience hall was completely painted by Pietro Perugino and his school of artists between 1498 and 1507
  • Collegio della Mercanzia - Home to the homonymous medieval guild, it consists of a rectangular room with walls and ceilings that are completely covered in inlaid wood. Above the court there is the emblem of the Merchandise
  • Palazzo Stuart Gallenga (Palazzo Antinori, 1748-1758) - Today, it houses the University for Foreigners; it is a palace with baroque facade, built on a design by Francesco Bianchi (architect)
  • Palazzo Cesaroni - Headquarters of the Regional Council of Umbria. By Guglielmo Calderini, it maintains the largest series of frescoes in the city. These frescos (Art Nouveau style) were painted by Annibale Brugnoli and Domenico Bruschi
  • Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo (Palace of Justice, 1472-1481) - It was designed by two Lombard architects: Gasparino di Antonio and Leone di Matteo. It is a Renaissance building with some reference to the Gothic style
  • Palazzo Della Penna (XVI-XIX centuries) - Built on the ruins of a Roman amphitheater. It belonged to the family of Vibi and housed, in the nineteenth century, a library and a collection of paintings and drawings. Today it is home to a Museum
  • Palazzo della Provincia - It was designed by Alessandro Arienti and built in 1870
  • Palazzo della Vecchia Università (1490-1514) - It is located in Piazza Matteotti and is currently home to the Palace of Justice
  • Palazzo Donini - Seat of the Regional Council of Umbria, it is a palace built by Peter Carattoli. It houses a painting cycle: "adventures, misadventures, and glories" of ancient Perugia, made by Salvatore Fiume
  • Palazzo Conestabile - Today, it is home of the Augusta Library
  • Fontivegge Management Centre (1982-1986), by Aldo Rossi
Theatres
  • Morlacchi Theatre (1777-1780) - Formerly Verzaro Theatre, it is the largest theater in the city. Designed by Alessio Lorenzini, it consists of a horseshoe-shaped hall with four tiers of boxes and a gallery
  • Pavone Theatre (1717-1723)
  • Turreno Theatre (1891)
  • Bertold Brecht Theatre
Churches
  • Cathedral of San Lorenzo - It was built between 1345 and 1490. The outer covering was never completed. Inside the cathedral, the Sacred Ring is kept: it is the relic of the Virgin Mary's wedding ring. The most important work in the cathedral is the Deposition from the Cross by Federico Barocci of 1569
  • Basilica of San Domenico - Founded in 1304 and renovated by Maderno in the XVII century, it is the largest religious structure of Umbria, a masterpiece of sculpture of the XIV century. Inside the basilica there is the tomb of Benedict XI. The wooden choir of the late XV century is also a must-visit
  • Basilica of St. Pietro - It was built around 996 over the previous cathedral, the first episcopal see in Perugia, which were there since the VII century. The entrance to the Church is on left side of the (XVII century) cloister. The octagonal tower overlooking the Basilica was built in 1463-68
  • Chapel of San Severo - Inside is a fresco painted at the top by Raphael (1508) and at the bottom by Perugino (1521). The chapel is next to a church (same name), built in the eighteenth century (in fact, the chapel is a residual part of this previous construction)
  • Church of St. Agostino - Built in the thirteenth century in Gothic style, it has internally undergone many alterations; some of them were made in XVII century. The church has some frescoes of value: a Madonna and a Crucifixion, the latter attributed to Pellino di Vannuccio (XIV century)
  • Church of Gesù - It was built in the late XVI century. The ceiling is decorated with fine carvings and frescoed with biblical subjects, painted by Giovanni Andrea Carlone. Below the main floor, there are three oratories, named respectively: the Congregazione dei Coloni, the Congregazione degli Artisti and the Congregazione dei Nobili
  • Church of St. Bevignate (XIII century)
  • Church of Sant'Ercolano - It was built in the early XIV century, near the Etruscan walls. Both the front stairway access frescoes and the ones inside (by Giovanni Andrea Carlone) date back to the years 1666-1669. Beneath the altar is placed a sarcophagus of the Roman Imperial period where, according to tradition, lie the remains of the saint, to whom the building is dedicated
  • Church of San Fiorenzo - It has a XIII century Gothic structure, but the interiors were heavily reworked in the XVIII century. The building contains a fine XV Banner by Benedetto Bonfigli
  • Chiesa Nuova di San Filippo Neri (Chiesa della Santissima Concezione) - It is a magnificent Baroque building built between 1626 and 1663, when the facade was completed. Designed by Paul Marucelli, Roman architect, Inside, the church houses frescoes with various biblical subjects, painted by Giovanni Andrea Carlone, Francesco Appiani and Francesco Martini
    Church of San Costanzo - It is a building erected in the XII century in Romanesque style, with later additions and extensively remodeled in the late XIX century by the greatest architect from Perugia: Guglielmo Calderini. The altar (first half of the XIII century) is highly valuable
  • Church of San Francesco al Prato - It was built in the first half of the XIII century and has an architecture that resembles quite closely that of Santa Chiara, in Assisi. Recently, it has been subjected to a radical restoration work
  • Church of St. Giuliana - Built in 1253, it has a linear and austere inside. The walls were painted mostly during the XIV century and they somewhere reveal influences of the great Cimabue (especially the Last Supper)
  • Church of Santa Maria di Monteluce - It was built during the XIII century, and almost entirely rebuilt after a fire in the next century. It has a beautiful XV-century façade and inside the church you can admire the frescoes, dating from the early XVII century, by Giovanni Maria Bisconti. The church is flanked by a former monastery, once used as a hospital (Ospedale di Santa Maria della Misericordia, or Hospital of Monteluce)
  • Church of Santa Maria Nuova (XIV century) - Its interiros are structured as three naves, in Gothic style. The church has an organ of the second half of the XVI century, a fine, wooden choir and some frescoes (XV-XVI centuries). The tower was built in the forties of the XVII century
  • Oratory of St. Agostino - It was built beside the homonymous church in the XV century, but the interior decorations are mostly of the XVII century (among them, a carved wooden ceiling and paintings by Mattia Battini and Giulio Cesare de Angelis)
  • Oratory of San Bernardino (1457-1461), by Agostino di Duccio
  • Oratory of St. Francis (XVI-XVII century)
  • Church of St. Michele Arcangelo - Also known as Temple of Sant'Angelo, is a V century Christian church, built on the former pagan temple. A rare example of circular-shape religious structure, it has a marble colonnade with Corinthian capitals of Roman origins
  • Cimitero Civico Monumentale (Civic Monumental Cemetery) - it's located in via Enrico dal Pozzo. Created and designed by Francesco and Alessandro Arienti Landoni, it was inaugurated by Archbishop Joachim Pecci (future Pope Leo XIII) in 1849. It contains significant memorials of illustrious families of Perugia, a monument dedicated to the fallen of the XX June 1859 and a section devoted to famous citizens
Museums
  • National Gallery of Umbria - It contains the largest collection of artworks (ranging from XIII to XIX century) made by artists (among others Arnolfo di Cambio, Piero della Francesca, Perugino, Pinturicchio) who passed by the Umbria.
  • National Archaeological Museum - Located in the former convent of San Domenico
  • Opera del Duomo Museum
  • Museum of Fine Arts
  • Museum of Palazzo della Penna - With modern art collections (Dottori and Beuys collections)
  • POST Museum - Perugia Officina per la Scienza e la Tecnologia (Perugia Workshop for Science and Technology)
  • Historical Museum of Perugina - The worldwide renowned chocolate factory.
  • Tomb and frescoes by Pietro Vannucci, called Perugino (Fontignano)
Your opinion matters!


We're constantly working to make your experience with UmbriaCenter more effective: please, contact us and send your opinions or suggestions on how we can further improve our service.

Don't forget to follow UmbriaCenter and post your comments on:

Blogspot UmbriaCenter   Wordpress UmbriaCenter   YouTube UmbriaCenter   Flickr UmbriaCenter   Twitter UmbriaCenter   Facebook UmbriaCenter   Instagram UmbriaCenter

Want to stay informed on whatever is happening? Subscribe to UmbriaCenter Newsletter:

Newsletter UmbriaCenter


Is your event missing?

Please email us about your festival, art exhibition, wine & food show or any other event that is related to Umbrian "culture", or call our number:

we will publish the information provided for free!

Search Events in Perugia

Perugia Town
Perugia Hamlets
Search by date range
 

Our Perugia Sponsors